Monday, January 7, 2013

DIY Monday: Nightlight Artwork

I didn't really think I was going to be blogging again, but now that I am, I have some projects to share. Unfortunately, I do not have step-by-step photos of these projects because, well, I didn't know I would be blogging again!

First up is a nightlight for the baby's room. I found an idea on Pinterest that had no real instructions or anything, but I decided I could probably do it.

Supplies:

  • Canvas (I used a deep gallery canvas from Michael's)
  • Acrylic Paint
  • Sponge paintbrush (what are those things called?)
  • Small regular paintbrush
  • Christmas lights
  • Stickers
  • Staple gun
1) I spray painted the canvas with silver sparkles. I was doing stars and I wanted the stars to look pretty even when the nightlight was off.

2) Then, I covered the canvas in star stickers and star post-it notes. I used post-it notes because I couldn't find stickers as big as I wanted.



3) Then I painted over everything with a sponge brush and a bottle of regular acrylic paint. I used pretty much the entire bottle. I painted in waves and swirls so that the visible brush strokes would add to the pattern. This is more Van Gogh Starry Night than precision.

4) I waited for the paint to dry and then peeled off the stickers and post-it notes. The post-it notes worked okay, but not great. They stuck to the canvas pretty badly once the paint dried. I think I should have peeled them off while the paint was still wet, but I was afraid of the paint bleeding. The stickers actually didn't end up with clean edges either. Again, more Starry Night than precision.

5) I touched up the edges of the stars with a small paintbrush to cover up the stuck paper and some of the truly uneven edges.

6) I grabbed a staple gun and a string of white Christmas lights and stapled the lights in a zig zag pattern across the inside of the canvas. This is where having the deep gallery canvas helped a lot. There was plenty of room for the lights to sit without pushing the frame away from the wall.

7) I plugged it in and it worked! I love it so much! I will have to get a timer or remote for the outlet since I ended up hanging it behind the crib, but right now I just leave it on and enjoy it. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment